"LaTeX is a high-quality typesetting system; it includes features designed for the production of technical and scientific documentation. LaTeX is the de facto standard for the communication and publication of scientific documents." http://www.latex-project.org/
Tutorial for beginners:
(1) Free Download
(2) Select a LaTex Editor
-I have purchased its student version but I use it for Python. Because I got used to WinEdt and have its license.
-I started using WinEdt 7.0 and I am currently using it. The newer version, WinEdt9.0 is now available. What I like the most about this editor is its Stata-dofile-like environment.
For Mac OS X and Linux:
And some more.....
Comparison of variousTeX editors is available here
(5) Symbols & Math
(6) LaTeX Books
- easy to follow: basic documentation with LaTeX
- Math formulas, scientific expressions
- How to include graphics: figures and tables
- Basic formatting tools- all types of publications from memos to encyclopedias
- Nearly 1,000 fully tested examples
- The latest packages: mathematical, multilingual
- Detailed help on all error messages: troublesome low-level TeX errors
Also find other LaTeX books here
(3) BibTeX - Bibliography
(7) Useful Packages
hyperref: hyperlinks in PDF documents to websites or to other labels and cross-references within the document
amsthm: environments for theorems, lemmas, proofs
amsmath: typesetting mathematics